METALSThese are more than 78% of all known elements. And present in the left side of periodic table.
· These are usually solids at room temp.(meaning (Hg) is exception)
· This have high melting points .
· Boiling point.
· These are metallic (can be flattened into thin sheet by hammer) and ductile (can be drawn into winner).
These present in the top right hand side of periodic table.
· These are usually gases or solids at room temp. With low melting points & boiling points Boron (B) & Carbon (C) are exception.
· Most of non – metallic solids are brittle and neither malleable not ductile.
· Metallic character increases down in the group.
· Non – metallic character increases from left to right in a period.
Elements which show character of both i.e. metals and non – metals are known as metalloids or semi-metals.
Ex: - silicon, germanium, arsenic, antimony, tellurium.